Thursday, January 19, 2012

Se Habla Espanol


Here we are at Spanish-speaking school! Despite what you might hear later from Zac, I think you all should know that his profesor listened to him for all of five minutes before taking away his Level 1 book and replacing it with Level 2 (and they only have two levels).

They didn't take away my book, but Gloriana, my profesora, has decided that instead of re-learning various Spanish tenses, we should just walk and talk. So each day we take a three-hour hike around Orosi with Zac and Marco, hablando-ing espanol as best we can.


Orosi is located in a small river valley and we're surrounded by low, green mountains on all sides. I can usually find a puppy to hold along our way. Sometimes a man trains horses in the street outside our school. Each time a car passes us on the road, I ask Marco if it's his uncle. About half the time, he says yes.


We'll finish classes tomorrow and leave on Saturday. I'm still not sure I won't turn into a black bean first.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like my kind of school! I wish my students cared enough about learning to step away from the traditional classroom and go about it in a more natural way.
    That Puppy looks nearly identical to Maisy at that age (though it looks like that one may have sneaked an extra bean burrito or two!).
    Thanks for the update, it's nice to live vicariously through you two for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nic! It was incredible how much easier it was to concentrate outside of the classroom. Zac and I got lots of good practice.

      I don't think I've met Maisy! Can't wait. That little boy would let me take his picture, but he wasn't about to hand over the puppy for petting.

      Thanks for reading and commenting! It's great to hear from you.

      Delete