Friday, March 30, 2012

Singing in the Rain


About seven years ago, I was saying goodbye to a Spanish family with whom I had spent the Christmas and New Years' holidays. One of the sons, Manuel, handed me a mix CD to take with me. It had no cover and no track listing, but he assured me that it was full of musica guay - cool music.

Six years later, I was jamming out to all the Spanish music I could with my new car stereo and I came to the last track on this CD. Then I played it again. Five times. Then I drove to Zac's house and made him sit in my car and listen to it. Then I Googled the chorus, found the artist, ordered the album and Zac and I were sitting pretty with our very own new-found Obscure Spanish Artist®.

When we arrived in South America, however, we started seeing the face and name of our Obscure Spanish Artist® everywhere. Turns out, Joaquin Sabina's got a couple of biographies written about him, a brand new album, and a highly publicized tour going on right now. 

First we lamented our unwitting mainstream-ness. Then we bought tickets to his Montevideo show. 


Sorry for the scarcity and crappy-ness of our photos. If you can't tell from the first picture, it was cold and raining cats and dogs. But the show was great! Even if everyone but the two fools in the back knew every single line of every single song. Ah, well. Obscurity is overrated. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment